May 25, 2017

History

FRONT PAGE BANNER

Original Watervliet Record Building

  Original Watervliet Record Building

 

The Tri-City Record is a weekly community newspaper that has published continually since February 1882.  The newspaper began as the Weekly Record in Watervliet and the name was changed in a couple years to the Watervliet Record.  The name of the paper remained unchanged until it was sold to Karl and Anne Bayer in 1984. The Bayers changed the Watervliet Record’s name to the Tri-City Record in October of that year to enlarge the publication’s readership to include the communities of Coloma and Hartford; both of which had their local newspapers fold in the 1970s.

Current Tri-City Record building.

 Tri-City Record building

Anne and Karl continue as publishers while Karl is the editor.  Up to recently Anne sold most of the community advertising.  Amy Bayer Loshbough, Anne and Karl’s daughter, has been business manager for the past 23 years. Recently she has created the Tri-City Record web page and is its webmaster.  The Tri-City Record covers the entire area of the school districts of Coloma, Hartford, and Watervliet, including the three cities and six townships therein.  The newspaper is digitally archived at the Michigan State Library and can be accessed through the Coloma Public Library website. Bound issues of the newspapers are also available to read at the Watervliet District Library